What is SOURCE?
Service Options Using Resources in a Community Environment (SOURCE) assists individuals who are elderly and/or functionally impaired to remain in their homes and/or communities. For eligible consumers, SOURCE offers community-based services as an alternative to nursing home placement. The Department of Community Health administers and operates the SOURCE.
Adult Day Health
Daytime care and supervision in an adult day center
Nursing and medical social services
Planned therapeutic activities
Physical, speech, and occupational therapy
Meals, including prescribed diets
Alternative Living Services
Alternative residence for persons unable to remain independent in their own homes
Meals, personal care, and supervision
Emergency Response Services
In-home electronic support system providing two-way communication between isolated persons and a medical control center
Service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Skilled nursing services
Physical, speech and occupational therapy
Medical social services and home health aide
Personal care and assistance with meals
Personal Support Services
Assistance with meal preparation, hygiene and nutrition
Light housekeeping, necessary errands, and other support services
In-home respite care provided by an aide
Out-of-Home Respite Care
Out-of-home overnight respite care in an approved facility with 24-hour supervision
Home-Delivered Meals Prepared outside the home and delivered to the client
The eligibility criteria for SOURCE include the following:
- Functional impairment caused by physical limitations. NOTE: Alzheimer’s and dementia are physical conditions.
- Unmet need for care
- Approval of an intermediate level of care (LOC) certification for nursing home placement
- Approval of care plan by client’s physician
- Medicaid eligible or potentially eligible after admission to SOURCE
- Client chooses community-based, rather than institutional services
- Services fall within the average annual cost of Medicaid reimbursed care provided in a nursing facility. Health and safety needs can be met by SOURCE.
- Participation in one waiver program at a time
- Medicare home health service or hospice (Medicare or Medicaid) does not meet consumer need for services
- Home Delivered Meals is not the only service need
- The home environment is free of illegal behavior and threats of bodily harm to other persons
A client is not required to be homebound to receive SOURCE services.
Step 1: The individual contacts the Area Agency on Aging for an assessment.
Step 2: If the individual is eligible for SOURCE, the care coordinator determines which services the applicant needs.
To be screened for the program, please call us at 1-800-283-0041.
The following information summarizes the financial eligibility criteria for the SOURCE.
- SSI category: Persons who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and are eligible for medical assistance. The Social Security Administration takes applications for SSI.